Thread: Leeds Pals?
View Single Post
Old 16-06-11, 07:49 PM

The Leeds Pals badge was struck in solid silver, bronze, low quality gilt, brass and blackened brass. I have not heard of a silver plate nor a wm one being used before. Simon is rihgt about the picture, it is not really big enough nor high enough resolution to be positive. However, there are a couple of tell tales that are worth pointing out. The first is the hung lamb. Repros usually have an ill defined starved lamb, your badge appears to have the well fed lamb that genuine badges have though there are repros that have this trait as well. The second is the long legged owls which is not good. Genuine pals badges had only short legged owls. If you have a look at my album on West Yorkshire badges you will see some examples. The coronets to the owls or `Leeds Budgies` to the locals are the right shape though they appear to be set at an unusual angle. Gut feeling is the badge is suspect and shows signs of a repro though i am hoping that a more detailed photograph may prove me wrong. Do you have a scanner? I find i can get far, far better quality images from a scanner than i could ever get from a camera!
Keep smiling, Dave
PS, the solid silver badge is a very rare item as only 25 were struck for official issue. These badges were given by the Lord Mayor who helped raise the first battalion to each officer at the presentation on the steps of Leeds town hall. I know of the whereabouts of 2 of these badges, one of which i am pleased to say is in my collection which i have scanned and is shown in my album.