View Single Post
Old 22-05-12, 01:34 PM

Default 51st Highland Division battalion/division insignia schedule

Gents;
I am trying to confirm the insignia worn by each of the 9 rifle battalions in the period 1944-45.

152 Infantry Brigade
2nd Seaforth Highlanders
5th Seaforth Highlanders
5th Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders - Bouchery Vol II p. 85 shows a photo of a flash of Cameron of Erracht tartan, worn over Division flash and one Arm of Service flash.

153 Infantry Brigade
5th Black Watch - see A
1st Gordon Highlanders - ?
5th/7th Gordon Highlanders - Bouchery Vol II p. 54 shows the same insignia as worn by the Gordons in 15 Scottish Division, i.e. a strip of Gordon tartan worn along the shoulder seam, over the formation patach, with two arm of service flashes denoting the middle brigade

154 Infantry Brigade
1st Black Watch - see A
7th Black Watch - see A
7th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders - Bouchery Vol II p. 85 shows the same insignia as worn by the Argylls of 15 Scottish Division - a red and white diced flash over the formation patch, over three arm of service flashes denoting the junior brigade

A. I have seen photos online and in Bouchery of the Black Watch battalions wearing a Government tartan flash in the shape of the regimental cap badge, with either 2 or 3 scarlet arm of service flashes depending on brigade. Was there any other "battalion" insignia to distinguish between them, particularly between 1st and 7th battalions?

B. Did the Seaforths wear the same insignia as that in 15th Scottish Division (i.e. Mackenzie Tartan flash)? Were there battalion distinctions between 2nd and 5th Seaforths? For some reason my notes show the 5th wearing a Government Tartan flash below the formation flash, and 2nd wearing Mackenzie above it, but I don't have a source for this info listed.

C. Likewise, did both battalions of the Gordons wear the same flash? Bouchery has an indistinct shot appearing to show troops of the Gordons in 51st wearing an embroidered/worsted/printed flash with lettering, but it's hard to make out.

Any help anyone can provide would be gratefully accepted.

TIA