View Single Post
Old 29-12-13, 01:01 PM

Default Canadian militia/CEF units (subset) order of precedence

Hi all,

Apologies for what is probably a biff question, however I'm not a collector of Canadian badges.. I'm trying to lock down the correct order of precedence for the following Canadian units in WW1. I've looked at your forum project, Wikipedia etc but the titles are varying a lot and am tying myself in knots!

The units in question are:

Royal Canadian Artillery
Royal Canadian Dragoons
9th Mississauga Horse
25th Brant Dragoons
Royal Highlanders of Canada
1st Newfoundland Regiment
19th Lincoln Regiment
29th Waterloo Regiment
31st British Columbia Horse
34th Ontario Regiment
41st Brockville Rifles
French Canadians
45th Victoria Regiment
48th Highlanders Regiment
49th Hastings Rifles
57th Peterborough Regiment
91st Manitoba Light Infantry
Canadian Ordnance Corps

The reason for asking and only on those specific units...? These units all feature on "Delandres", a series of French poster stamps produced during that war, I have most of them but want to display them in the correct order on the album page alongside their British counterparts. A nice little sideline militaria item.

Separately, there is a Lincolnshire Yeomanry delandre which is listed in the stamp catalogue as being Canadian, seemingly by virtue of having a large "Canada" on the design and there being a Canadian Lincoln Regiment. I can't find any reference to a Canadian unit of that title, nor a connection between the British Lincoln Yeo and Canada. Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Would appreciate your guidance and corrections please!

Regards, Michael