Thread: RNAS eagles
View Single Post
Old 27-09-16, 08:16 PM

Default RNAS eagles

It is quite often notoriously difficult to identify the period and use of metal eagles used on Commonwealth Naval and Air Force uniforms.
As I understand it, one of the generally accepted determinants of RNAS eagles is that they initially incorporated three posts or more accurately, a WWI era eagle with three posts was used by the RNAS. They can be found in pickled brass, or gold gilt and cast from various brass/bronze alloys. Many were manufactured in two, carefully soldered pieces. The back plate frequently had two small vent holes which released the gas formed during heating and soldering. They were manufactured between 1913 and 1918 for the RNAS and all the examples below measure 54mm in width, plus or minus 1mm. One general observation I’ve noticed is they all have a more slender and elegant wing compared to later issued wings such as the WWI RAF versions.
Initially, the eagle faced right (from the viewers perspective) as they were worn on the left sleeve (and the eagle was always supposed to be looking “behind”). In June of 1917, regulations approved the eagles to be worn on both sleeves and thus the left handed eagle was introduced.
Below are examples of what I think meet the requirements for RNAS eagles but I’m open to discussion by those who are more knowledgeable and experienced in this area of collecting, particularly for the last item.
The first composite image illustrates a RNAS sleeve eagle which is described by Warren Carroll as being for the blue uniform. It has the backing plate, three posts and one remaining notched, circular nut. The 2nd picture is similar in design but cast in one piece and has interesting knurled nuts. Perhaps the nuts can reveal something about the date or manufacturer? The 3rd item is a pin conversion of a variation of the three post, single die cast eagle made sometime after 1914. It is not uncommon to find these conversions for those who served overseas and, according to Carroll (p. 41, Eagles Recalled), worn above the left pocket on the khaki uniforms. In the last example, it perhaps requires a little more imagination to be convinced the 3rd post was present before the pin was added. However, there is a slightly raised surface and grind marks in the tail feather area that suggest this is the case. I suspect this pin went onto to a third incarnation as there is a tiny loop on one win tip which could have facilitated its use on a charm or sweetheart. One often finds sweetheart eagles with pin backs making it very difficult, if not impossible, to determine if the given eagle was initially used by a serviceman or made for and given to a loved one, especially I think with RAF and interwar examples.
I would welcome any corrections and expansions by Forum members on any of the above. I recognize this has been discussed in the past and I for one, could use a refresher.