Thread: NZ ORDNANCE
View Single Post
Old 05-12-16, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woronora View Post
Hi Brent
Images of a pair of Gaunt made NZEF AOC collars I bought a while ago from Geoff Newman, UK.
I hope they help.
Cheers
John
Hi John, if everyone shares their pieces of the puzzle the quicker we get to see a more complete picture.
My NZEF NZAOC collar badges are British made as the lugs have feet where they are attach to the badge and the letters “NZ” have been sweated on.
My cap badge on the other hand is a one piece stamping and the lugs do not have feet suggesting it was most likely manufactured in New Zealand.
The question which needs to be solved is which order were these badges issued in?
The NZEF Ordnance documents in post #30 forced Gaunt to tender for NZ Government badge contracts, so it could possibly be that Gaunt may not have produced the first NZEF NZAOC badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNeil View Post
Hi Brent,
Levien was at Sling Camp during 1919 so I believe that the Major in the Picture is Charles Gossage, who was the DADOS of the NZ Division at the time.
You are quite right on your assumption that Levien was a key Player in the adoption of badges. He was the NZEF (UK) Chief Ordnance Officer from about June 1916. As the COO he was responsible for the acquisition of all the stores for the NZEF, at the time almost everything was obtained thru the Imperial Ordnance system, except for Jackets, hats and badges which were obtained by tender.
I have found this picture of Lt Col A.H Herbert wearing he the NZEF AOC badge, the picture is dated 1915. He was appointed as the DADOS of the NZ Div from Jan 1916 to May 1917, so it is highly likely this picture as taken 1916/17.
Attachment 160505
Hi Rob, I wasn’t aware of Gossage but good to identify him.
The picture of Lt Col A.H Herbert is incorrectly dated and although I have previously researched Herbert I don’t recall seeing his picture before.
I am thinking if that is a DSO above his left pocket the photo would have been taken after June 1917.