Thread: Wound Badge
View Single Post
Old 02-01-09, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddle tree maker View Post
The Daily Mirror in the UK is also running a similar campaign for our soldiers and they seem to be getting alot of high profile backers.
My own personal view is - Yes I do think they should be recognized more, most are maimed for life and along with suitable compensation I support it.
No one seems to care anymore about these brave men and women - certainly not like they used too, and if the recognition for their sacrifice is in the form of a special medal, I think that's perfectly fitting.
STM.
STM, i could not agree with you more. Having spoken with a current serving officer recently back from Iraq they are treated very badly on their return from a long tour away from home constantly on edge. On duty during the day, woken by `incoming` missiles on an evening they get very little sleep. The thanks they get when they have served queen and country? Not allowed to wear their uniform walking through the aiport incase it upsets some people!!!! WHAT! If the the uniform is good enough to risk life and limb in on behalf of the nation it must be worn also in civvy street to remind those at home of what others are prepared to do on the nations behalf! These guys need to be recognised regardless of whether injured or not. If they have been injured whilst on duty, they need to be recognised even more! I think the question is not whether an award should be made but what form the award should be made.
I think a seperate medal for a wound may not be the most appropriate. Similarly with wound stripes. I am not a medal expert but are not campaign medals issued with far fewer strings and conditions today? Would it not be worth considering something similar to the old `mentioned in dispatches` type medal ribbon fitting?
Cheers, Dave