View Single Post
Old 14-08-17, 06:28 AM

Default IWM - Dodgy Royal Norfolk

Hi Keith

A valid point I agree - and I'm sure that we can all relate similar stories. Although surely it is wrong to discriminate against all collectors because of the behaviour of just a few. It's a bit like saying that as I enjoy reading I can't work in a book shop because I'll steal all the books or because I eat food I can't work in a supermarket! I'm sure that there are some people working in book shops who HAVE stolen books - but no-one bans everyone who enjoys books from working in one. In most cases it is actually regarded as a positive thing!

It is also like saying that because you are a collector you have no morals (applies to some dealers perhaps!) and will just steal anything you want. In the cases I know of where items have gone missing they have been stolen and sold for their commercial value - not stolen simply because an individual wants something for themselves.

And most people I know who work in museums these days are simply there because they wanted to work in museums and the heritage industry and not because they have any particular interest in what the museum was about - they would just as soon work in a museum of medieval nose flutes as a regimental museum! I am of course talking about those with professional qualifications and not volunteers.

Partly this is because when the National Lottery started up about 20 years ago there was a huge investment in museums and the heritage industry. This encouraged lots of people to obtain qualifications in these subjects. Then, when the funding bubble burst and the money beagan to be diverted to 'worthier causes', a lot of museums had to close and jobs became harder to get. You were lucky if you could get a position in any museum.

Anyway, the thing which seemed to weigh more against me personally was the fact that I had actually served at SEA in the Royal Navy! God forbid that some salty old sea dog should be let loose amongst their beautiful collections!

And one final point. Although I obviously couldn't be employed as I couldn't be trusted not to steal the exhibits, I have undertaken projects at several maritime museums around the country over the years as an unpaid volunteer. There seemed to be no concerns that I might steal things for my own collection as long as they didn't pay me!

There are more points I could raise but I've been boring enough already!

Pete