View Single Post
Old 21-06-17, 11:08 AM

I've had a reply from MC Henuis, who leads the OVSAC re-enactors; he is also a very knowledgeable collector of Boer equipment:

I can't see the photo's, but you can comment on my behalf as follows:

The OVSAC [this is the re-enactor group] had spin cast (in a white tin alloy) copies that were electroplated (in antique brass and gold) manufactured for our re-enactors. They differ substantially from the original die cast versions. I have never come across die stamped replicas and manufacturing them would be very expensive, so I would treat all die stamped versions as originals.

It must be remembered the OVS government imported uniforms and badges from various manufacturers in various batches. Initially (1860s-80s) most badges would have come from Britain as they were ordered through Cape agents who again ordered from manufacturers in Britain (for example Holloway Brothers of London who had a “Steam Sewing Works” in Stroud, England). In the 1890s they started importing from Germany from various Berlin based suppliers like CF Wulfert and Eduard Sachs. Badges were ordered for various uses (cap, collar, pouch, helmet) and therefore came with various fixing arrangements. They were also ordered in white metal (probably for volunteers and native police), normal brass and gilded (for officers, parade helmets etc). In 1890 the OVS even imported two die sets for cap badges, so we know they were also locally made, probably with the help of a local jeweler. This explains why there are so many versions of the same thing (quality and fixing method). I have also come across original badges that were changed by local jewelers for "sweetheart" or civilian use, which adds to the confusion.