View Single Post
Old 31-03-11, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
I was intrigued by this one when I saw it on ebay and decided to go for it because of the backing cloth.

It is damaged on the front but taking off the backing, which is black felt, reveals a good early period badge. More important however is the pattern of the sweat/braize holes.

I have recorded four different patterns previously but have never seen this type with small oblongs behind the battle honour and at the top of the 'W'. Two small circular indents are also present behind the upright of the 'B' and the top curve of the 'S'.

Has anyone else come across this style of manufacture?

As to the black felt backing I have no idea. The regimental facing colour being green of course.

Hwyl pawb,

Kevin
Hi Kevin, there was a black backing to the badge in the centre of the circlet on the 1912 pattern Universal Helmet plate (star) as a standard fitment. This was the last pattern before the demise of full dress, so there can't be many of them about. For the officers version it was black velvet, but for ORS black felt. On modern helmets as used by the bands this backing was often changed to red, but for the 1912 pattern helmet black was standard. The original intention was that the badge could be taken off the helmet and used on the forage cap. The first pattern helmet plate centre (with QVC) had the wreath around a dragon but I understand that the final pattern (with Imperial Crown) was as per the cap badge. The illustrations show the black backing and the different crowns, but not all are SWB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg manchesterhelmet.jpg (64.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 1902helmet2.jpg (16.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg swbhelmetbadge.jpg (83.1 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 31-03-11 at 09:31 PM.