Thread: SRRU Badges
View Single Post
Old 03-11-22, 01:13 PM

While on the subject of Rhodesian made badges, I know that Keay's also made a Rhodesian Air Askari Corps cap badge. I have an example in the collection as attached. There is also another version of the Rhodesian Air Askari Corps cap badge which was stamped out of brass and has a slightly hollow back. I believe that this type was made by the SA Mint in Pretoria as far as I am aware. The lugs are reminiscent of the ones of some SA cap badges. (Have attached images of the one I have for interest).

As an aside some badges were made in the Rhodesia Railways workshops in Bulawayo. I am not sure which ones except for a couple of the sheet brass titles.

The South African Mint also made badges for Rhodesia. On a visit there many years ago, they had a small display of SA badges that they made and amongst them were Rhodesia Regt cap badges and Rhodesia titles.

Once Rhodesians had been deployed to East Africa during WW2 for that campaign many wore the General Service Lion and Tusk badge, some of which were made locally in Nairobi by a bloke called Wali Mahomed. These were all cast badges. Have attached an example with the makers mark stamped on the reverse. This bloke also made badges for SA and British units based there.

Must say that I have never come across an LRDG badge made in the Keays style and would love to see one!!

Last edited by Madziro; 03-11-22 at 01:20 PM.