View Single Post
Old 24-06-16, 07:16 PM

I'm afraid that I haven't yet been able to establish where the 3rd Bn were prior to 1890 but can confirm that the 1901 RB Chronicle holds details of the events related to the image that you show Roy as there is mention of such in the 1902 edition.

I am able to confirm that the soldiers in the image were definitely members of the 3rd Bn though it seems that only two of them were long term members of the Bn. Remembering that at this time that movement between battalions was fairly fluid due to the demands of the Boer war which also had a detrimental bearing on the level of info submitted to the chronicle during the period with regard to the Bn.

Having received a Hi Res copy of the image from Roy to which I am very grateful I have picked up on something that I would like to study further. To this end is anyone able please to confirm the size of the buttons that are on the tunics/jackets that the Riflemen are wearing. I seem to remember that they were possibly approximately 22mm but have an example of that is 19mm so I'm not sure what size those in the image are.

In the mean time here is another image that might be of interest. It shows the members of the 4th Bn Young Soldiers Shooting team from 1899.

Regards to all.

Ry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 RB YST 1899.jpg (66.8 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Charlie 585; 24-06-16 at 10:08 PM.