Thread: RAF buttons
View Single Post
Old 16-03-17, 07:59 AM

Hello GTB

A very nice selection of buttons.

I do believe though that the 'RAF' button is actually a Royal Air Force Mess Waiter's button. There has been mention of this on the Forum before I think and someone provided a link which mentioned the appropriate regulations which specified this button as RAF mess waiter.

I'm not sure if this is the link supplied but this site does mention these buttons - http://www.network54.com/Forum/18074...y%27s+Uniform-

Copying part of the text it reads as follows -

"Air Ministry Order 416 of 1921 describes these buttons and authorises them as part of the uniform for Mess Butlers and Mess Waiters........

Summary of the uniforms in the AMO:

Mess Butler:
Day wear: Dark blue lounge suit of civilian pattern, Evening Wear: Dark blue evening suit, civilian model: coat and waistcoat to be fitted with brass buttons with raised initials "R.A.F."

Mess Waiter:
Day Wear: Blue and white striped jean jacket, lounge jacket model and blue and white striped jean waistcoat both with brass buttons with raised initials "R.A.F."

Evening Wear: Dark blue evening coat and trousers (civilian model); blue and white waistcoat (as for day wear): coat and waistcoat to be fitted with brass buttons with raised initials "R.A.F." ".

This does seem to be confirmation that these 'RAF' buttons are Royal Air Force and not Royal Aircraft Factory, Royal Armaments Factory and so on.

Roger