View Single Post
Old 16-09-13, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMO2440 View Post
With other ranks (OR's) there are 4 types of rank:

Substantive - meaning that for the purpose of pay, pension and seniority the rank is recorded on the solders documentation.

Acting - Again this is paid and also goes to-wards the pension (if held long enough) but does not for seniority for promotion to the next rank (3 years in that rank).

Local - The badge of the local rank is worn, but it is not paid nor does it count to-wards any pension or seniority.

Pay of higher rank - The badge of rank is not worn but the soldier is paid for the higher rank, this does not go to-wards any seniority or pension.

Local rank can go on and off like no-ones business, acting rank is harder to remove and substance even harder so.

You can see from the above that things are sometimes not clear cut and can get a little complicated, having a Substantive Cpl being an acting Sgt and wearing the rank of a C/Sgt being local in that rank.

An example of pay of higher rank, when I was a C/Sgt I commanded the Bn's Reconnaissance platoon (the job of a senior lieutenant or captain), so I got paid as a warrant officer for 18 months (one rank higher) until I was made an acting and then substantive Warrant officer.
You've left out "brevet" rank. Where the recipient wears the rank badges and has the privileges of his brevet but gets paid for a lower rank. Although I have seen a brevet major wearing captain's pips (in an unusual situation).

There's always exceptions "sigh".