View Single Post
Old 06-05-12, 04:31 PM
guest123a

With other ranks (OR's) there are 4 types of rank:

Substantive - meaning that for the purpose of pay, pension and seniority the rank is recorded on the solders documentation.

Acting - Again this is paid and also goes to-wards the pension (if held long enough) but does not for seniority for promotion to the next rank (3 years in that rank).

Local - The badge of the local rank is worn, but it is not paid nor does it count to-wards any pension or seniority.

Pay of higher rank - The badge of rank is not worn but the soldier is paid for the higher rank, this does not go to-wards any seniority or pension.

Local rank can go on and off like no-ones business, acting rank is harder to remove and substance even harder so.

You can see from the above that things are sometimes not clear cut and can get a little complicated, having a Substantive Cpl being an acting Sgt and wearing the rank of a C/Sgt being local in that rank.

An example of pay of higher rank, when I was a C/Sgt I commanded the Bn's Reconnaissance platoon (the job of a senior lieutenant or captain), so I got paid as a warrant officer for 18 months (one rank higher) until I was made an acting and then substantive Warrant officer.