Thread: Para wings
View Single Post
Old 19-07-17, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
A recent pick up that came on a postwar german beret, but the badge had ben on there a long time and I'm not liable to discount it because of that. It is curved and feels some what thinner than others I have and have handled. The crown is off putting to me, partly due to the lowness to which it sits on the canopy. This doesn't look right to me, I don't think the stamping on the crown is very good, but the usual die fault isn't there I'd look for and the feathers seem ok-ish.

If anyone can confirm/deny (I have my own suspicions, but before it gets made into a French para badge for an upcoming display I'd like to check it's not real ).

Thanks...
Tom
Hi Tom,

This badge used to be thought of as not genuine by some collectors because it had parallel chute lines on the left hand side. I have noticed recently however that this pattern has become more popular and generally accepted as ok.

Personally I am keeping an open mind about it, I have on one occasion seen one with a post war group of medals which apparently came straight from the family.
Although I have not yet seen one on a WW2 beret with provenance it may be the case that this is a post war pattern as there eight post war years of King's crown which is sometimes forgotten by collectors. I have also seen these sell on eBay for between £15 and £25.

I have a couple of these in my collection and would advise that you find a cheap fake, die flaw in the LHS wing (with the pointy wing tips) badge to turn into a French example for display.

Jack