View Single Post
Old 08-05-17, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMcM View Post
thanks, Simon! I'll recheck Cox later today (you've got me doubting my memory now...). Don't have Owen's, sadly.
Hi Simon,
I Have to disagree with you regarding the dates of the SAFA badges. I have done some research in old copies of the Nongqui magazine. There was a good article written on the Artillery Units of SA in 1943 which shows some of the badges worn. This information was subsequently used in both Curson's books in the 1950's and Sam Foote's articles in Commando magazines of 1968.

The Nongqui also showed some interesting pictures of the early SAFA in 1922.

From what I am able to ascertain both #820 and #823 in Owen was the badge worn by the Imperial Service unit 'South African Field Artillery' between 1915-1919 in German East Africa and Palastine.

A new 'South African Field Artillery' was formed in 1922 from the 3 permanent force batteries of the SAMR Artillery Brigade. Owen #826 was the badge adopted in 1922 by this unit (As seen in pictures in Nongqui 1922).

This badge was however very soon replaced with the 'Ubique' badge, Owen #829 with 'Zuid Afrika' scroll. This was then used by the SAFA as well as SAPGA until replaced mid 1920's with the Afrikaans title 'Suid Africa'.

Regards
Steven