View Single Post
Old 13-11-15, 12:47 AM

IH

As you probably know

The University of Dublin OTC was founded in 1910 with Infantry ( 3 coys) , Engineer (1 Fortress Coy) , Medical (1 Field Amb section) and ASC (1 Tpt & Supply section) components.

The unit was wound up in 1922 on the formation of the Irish Free State. The unit was formed in what is now known as Trinity College (as opposed to the later University College Dublin).

In 1930 a new OTC was formed in Trinity this time as part of the reserve of the Irish Defence Forces. Your badges are from the first incarnation.

The grenade was a collar badge for sure, but whether for only the engineer component or for engineer and infantry I cannot say for sure. The image below on the left shows it in use on the collars of Captain Duggan. He is wearing the standard cap badge for the OTC. The following from Our Heroes

Captain George Grant Duggan
Regiment: 5th Batt. R. I. Fusiliers
Killed In Action: Monday, August 16, 1915
Panel Reference: Panel 178 to 180.
Cemetery: Helles Memorial Turkey
Information:
Captain George Grant Duggan, 5th Batt. R. I. Fusiliers, who died from wounds received in action at Gallipoli on August 16th last, was the third son of Mr. George Duggan, Manager of the Provincial Bank, College Street, Dublin. He was educated at the High School and subsequently entered Trinity, where he had a brilliant University career. He was a member of the Officers' Training Corps, where he showed exceptional efficiency. In September, 1914, he joined the 5th Batt. Royal Irish Fusiliers. Capt. Duggan was a noted athlete and one of the finest long-distance and cross-country runners that Trinity College has ever possessed.
Date of Publication: Friday, September 24, 1915

It also appears to have been worn as a cap badge

There is a photo of Lt C.L. Robinson the adjutant of the OTC wearing the grenades on his collar and in his cap in , Sinn Fein Rebellion. A Souvenir of Presentations to the Officers' Training Corps, Trinity College Dublin. A booklet published to commemorate the presentation of awards to officers and men of Dublin University OTC in August 1916, 44pp., printed by Waller & Co, Suffolk Street, Dublin.

Image below on right - sorry for poor image I cannot do any better.

PERHAPS the version with longer loops is for the cap, but I cannot say for sure.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg george grant duggan.jpg (62.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg ADj Dublin OTC 001.jpg (115.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 13-11-15 at 12:56 AM. Reason: added content.