View Single Post
Old 05-06-13, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ Miller View Post
Hi Bill, you are correct no members of the 1CACR were issued an embroidered variety of bull's head. (or none that I have seen to date) I just happen to like this design

Since none of our guys came home with embroidered types I was curious about the authenticity of this patch. It was actually your post about the odd SHAEF patch that lead me to look all the patches that the vendor is offering.

I have collected quite a few items related to the 79th AD. They published a mimeographed weekly newspaper which I am fortunate enough to have found six or seven issues of from the winter and spring of 1945 (including one that describes the horrific discovery of the Belsen concentration camp.) I have a couple of photos of British members of the 79th (49 RTR/APCR and RCE), those photos only show printed cotton patches on their BD (again 1944-45 time period).

Veterans of the 1CACR have a fondness for their attachment to the 79th and pride in wearing the bull's head patch. Ken Ramsden in his book, "The Canadian Kangaroos in World War II", described having the bull's head painted on a vehicle was like saying "Open Sesame" to the provost.

Thanks everybody for their input!
My Grandfather was in the 79th Armored Division and I'm in the process of framing 2 of his photos from the period in uniform featuring the 79th Armored Division Sleeve Patch, along with 4 of his campaign/service medals.

I'm also awaiting a copy of his file from the M.O.D so his Service Number, Rank and Regiment along with service dates and any other extras can be added.

What would really finish the frame, would be an "ORIGINAL" 79th Armored Division Sleeve Patch, if you know someone who has one for sale.

Much Appreciated.