View Single Post
Old 01-04-16, 03:15 PM

Default 94 Berkshire Yeomanry Signal Squadron

Dear Ian.

Delighted to see the Bullion Badges you have posted for 94 Berkshire Yeomanry Signal Squadron (V). I had not seen badge number 4 before.

Can I just change some of the dates that you have on the Thread which are very slightly out of order.

As per your numbered photo they should read

1. 1967 Version

2. 2008 Version currently being used on by Officer's on their Beret

3. 1985 Version

4. I believe this is a small version of the 1985 version Beret Badge.

Now for the bad news Ian. I have attached to this Thread what I had believed to be an Other Ranks Beret Badge Blue Backed for Other Ranks of 94 Berkshire Yeomanry Signal Squadron (V) dating from the early 1970's as this is so similar to the OR's Beret Badges being worn at the time by 70 Essex Yeomanry Signal Squadron (V) Other ranks Red Backed and also by 68 Inns of Court and City Yeomanry Signal Squadron (V) Other Ranks Green Backed.

Over several years I had tried to get proof of this. In January 2015 I received a reply to the several letters I had sent to 94 Berkshire Signal Squadron from their unit historian Mr Andrew French advising me that the Other Ranks of the Squadron had never worn a cloth backed badge at all.

I have also had correspondence from my guru Cliff Lord of actual letters written by the OC 70 Essex Yeomanry back in the early seventies who was the originator of the Other Ranks cloth beret badges that it was only 70 Essex Yeomanry and 68 Inns of Court and City Yeomanry of 71st Signal Regiment I think it was that wore the cloth backed badges and that 98 Berkshire Yeomanry were never part of this exercise.

This upset me as I was by this time in possession of as I have said above a 94 Berkshire Yeomanry Signal Squadron cloth beret badge and I show this badge below.

Going one step further Ian there is a photo in the excellent booklet put together by a Forum member namely Bill Thomas in the pamphlet called Cloth Beret & Cap Badges of the British Army and photograph 18 in this pamphlet shows a blue backed Royal Signals cloth badge but the caption just says Royal Signals. I have indeed spoken to Bill and all he can remember is received a photo of this badge from where he can not remember when he was putting this little pamphlet together. Shame. During a discussion we are both of the unconfirmed opinion that the Beret Badge is that of perhaps a Cadet Unit but can go no further than that.

If you can shine and further light on this little story Ian I would love to hear about it but as things stand there is no proof whatsoever that 94 Berkshire Yeomanry Signal Squadron (V) Other Ranks ever wore a blue cloth backed beret badge only blue cloth behind a metal Jimmy as they do today.

Hope I have not gone on too long Ian but hope my little explanation helps.

With my very best wishes

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 94 Berks. Yeomanry Sig Sqn OR-s cloth beret badge.jpg (50.3 KB, 34 views)