View Single Post
Old 22-10-10, 01:39 PM

One has to be very very careful with these so called 2WW period Naval cap badges. In the day, Scully produced them by the hundreds, many bear their label on the reverse. Many of them did not sell & were released in the 80's & '90's & are good badges, most at least have some age patina. This example under discussion looks very very new to me.

All of the RCN 2WW period cap badges have been reproduced, most are very obvious to any experienced collector. I have seen may of them at Southern ON shows over the past few yrs, more so in the past 2-3 yrs. Many of the repros bear the Scully label on the reverse, this label has apparently been repro'd & aged as well to make the badges appear authentic to the period.

At S. ON shows in the past couple yrs there has been a vendor selling ALL repro badges of various nations {mostly UK, Can, & Nazi}, they are all modern looking & would not fool any collector with minimal experience. But more & more of them are being put out on the market by this vendor. & they are selling! I have had at least two collectors come to me at the last Etob show asking me if the badges they bought were actually good to the period!

You really need to examine the badge in hand & up close to know.
Obviously someone felt this was a genuine badge & it may well be, & if he is happy with his purchase then so be it!

Bryan