Thread: Wound Badge
View Single Post
Old 13-08-08, 03:21 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Controversial issue. Some people in Canada are lobbying for a medal for being wounded in service. The traditional approach has been the Wound Stripe.
Sure to raise some hackles, both sides.
Canadian Purple Heart
A Canadian Purple Heart.... I wonder whether the people lobbying have any real experience of what they are talking about. I would personally be glad to be still alive - no disrespect intended as I never saw any active service as a soldier, but I can recall the disdain held by British soldiers that I have met from WWII, Korea, Borneo, Oman, NI etc etc about the US Purple Heart and all the other medals they seem to get - wound medals were handed out for finger cuts and in no way reflected what a soldier may have gone through. I am not sure whether this a stoical British viewpoint, but I wouldn't feel that a medal for getting wounded was the right thing in the first place. Still being alive + a possible campaign decoration wold be enough. I always thought that wound stripes were a good way of showing what a soldier had been through.
All the "real" soldiers I have met (bless 'em, 'cos most of them have since passed away) thought it was hilarious and certainly wouldn't have worn this with as much pride as they did for hard won "real" medals.
I worked for 7 years with a USMC vet who saw combat in Korea & Vietnam and other places that he doesn't like talking about - and I don't dig)- he's getting on a bit, but still as as sharp as a razor - you all know the type - and even he has just had a good laugh at this. Quote "they used to hand these out like candy" - his words not mine. Even non-combatative guys in his unit used to get them.

Apologies for the rant, I've seen some lovely pictures of badges today which are absolutely fantastic and then the mood got spoiled by me getting a picture of an incredible officers CBP and its not mine...
david