Thread: Artists Rifles
View Single Post
Old 04-04-17, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobw View Post
Well, gentlemen, would you give a look at my small group of Artists Rifles badges and let me know your opinions? As always, my primary concern is originality, but I'm also somewhat mystified by the chronology of these badges. This is a favorite regiment of mine, but I can't seem to make sense of which style of badge was worn when...
Your badge bearing the 'ARTISTS' scroll (white-metal, top centre) is fashioned after the 20th Middlesex Rifle Volunteers design of badge. Drawings from 'Badges of Volunteer Infantry Battalions 1883-1899' held at the National Archives, confirms that this pattern was approved on 4th April 1895, and is likely therefore to have preceded the 'ARTISTS RIFLES' version (your badges far-left and far-right), though this on its own is not of course conclusive proof.

Pinning down a specific juncture at which one pattern superseded the other is not something I am able at present to clarify, though perhaps other members might be able to.

Even so, I have on many occasions seen images dating from the Great War period wherein both types of badge can be seen in situ. My opinion from the evidence I have seen to date is that the 'ARTISTS' version is the first pattern, the 'ARTISTS RIFLES', the second.

I am sorry that I am unable to provide a photo showing both patterns being worn at the same time, though the first portrait below dates from 1917, and the group photo clearly shows the cloth 'ARTISTS' shoulder title being worn... perhaps forum member Drew, can pin down a date for the wearing of the cloth badge.

Regards,

JT