View Single Post
Old 13-08-17, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
So I gave up on any career within maritime museums and applied to join the NHS as a hospital administrator - a job I knew nothing about at all and in which none of my previous knowledge or experience would be any use whatsoever. So they obviously gave me a job!

Pete
Awesome story Pete, you've got to laugh at the absurdity of it sometimes.

As far as I am aware places like the Australian War Memorial officially discouraged collectors as curators out of concern for leakage from the collection. However there were a few that I knew years ago who had fairly substantial collections of their own. I don't know what it is like now but 20 and 30 years ago the ones that I knew also had a great interest in the subject.

Leakage from museum or historical collections into the market place by people who have a conflict of interest has been a problem. Years ago I was heavily involved in the historical collection of one of my former units. The unit no longer exists and now a few of us are in the process of cataloguing and storing the collection for the future it comes as no surprise to see articles missing. In particular one photograph now missing I am well aware appeared in a book by a well known author/collector some years ago - knowing the people around at the time I can almost join the dots from the individual who removed it from the battery photo album, to the collector it was given to, and the author who used it!

Keith