View Single Post
Old 02-04-18, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I don't know about any notification, have you checked the published post war Army Lists, it is interesting to note that of the twenty three regiments actually awarded this particular honour, only eight actually elected to carry, including the RIF, I always think of those poor sods in that single company of Cameron Highlanders, from memory less than fifty, not good, six days of misery, in particular, down the Lys Canal.
Thank you Frank, I will chase that lead.

My daughter (middle school) has decided to compete in the National History Day 2018 competition as part of her studies. She won the South Asia Regional Finals (Junior Division Individual performance) representing Singapore American School. She goes on to National Finals in Washington D.C. this summer.

Her project was; the defence of the La Bassée Canal by the 1st Battalion, The Royal Irish Fusiliers, May 1940.

She is tightening up her research and wanted to try to find primary references for this award, she came up short with he leads I suggested hence reaching out here. I have learnt a lot from her research both in the origins of the war and the particular actions of 1 RIF - it truly was desperate times for some of those men.

John