View Single Post
Old 29-01-12, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
You've probably trumped me Brent old mate,but here's a few that i found yesterday.Nuie.
Iain, I still have a lot of cards to play, because as you know I have a big interest in the Maori Battalion, but have kept most of my research to myself as Shaun has put his hand up to write an artice on the Maori Battalion badges. (Hurry up Shaun)

My interest in the Maori Battalion is primarily due to my great uncle "Hemi Te Miha" who enlisted in the 2nd Maori Contingent as a Private on the 1st of July 1915 at the age of 22.

Unfortunately when Hemi's medals came up for sale in February 2009, I was unable to come up with the funds to purchase them, but as soon I can get some spare cash I hope to bring the medals back into family hands again.

Interestingly, during a Wellington badge club meeting that was held at forum member Wayne Ihaka's house in December 2010, I was introduced to another badge collector by the name of Hemi who just happened to have the following wartime photo of my great uncle Hemi Te Miha.

Unfortunately Hemi is not wearing the red and black Maori patch which suggests that the photo was taken shortly after his arrival at Narrow Neck Camp.

Like many young maori who enlisted, Hemi Te Miha adopted a more european sounding name, and by using extended family names, he enlisted as James Danger, Service No. 16/575.

Corporal Hemi Te Miha (James Danger) died of wounds on the 3rd September 1917 at the 2nd Australian General Hospital, and is burried at Wimereux Communal Cemetery, Pas-de-Calais, France.

Some more Hemi Te Miha/James Danger stuff-
http://beta.natlib.govt.nz/items/22439467

Last edited by atillathenunns; 29-01-12 at 01:44 AM.