Thread: Beach groups
View Single Post
Old 29-10-09, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Hello,
I have thought it is a Pakistani copy because on your picture it looks very similar to one I have in my fake box to compare with the real items.
I bought it 10 years ago in UK, a seller sold them by hundreds for 2 pounds each, and we had a good talk about them, he told me they were made in Pakistan. I have seen the first Pakistan fakes around 1995 in France and after I saw them ny hundreds in UK and at that time they didn't have any paper baking. They are easy to detect, it is a "mess of threads" at the back of the title. Note the Beach Ordnance shoulder title I have shown there is a Pakistani fake "first pattern"... Regards. J-F
Yes there seems to be a latter batch with a black paper backing in an attempt to cover the threads. I have seen some at militara fairs, but not in great quantities! In fact for the size of the RAOC during WWII you do not see that much of any Ordnance Insignia for that matter....

I obtained my first example around 1990 from a former RAOC Soldier who had served in 11 Ordnance Beach Detachment. The second was in the pocket of a Officers No1 Dress Tunic which I was sold, and upon checking I also beleave it to be genuine as well. Since I only collect RAOC/RLC insignia I tend to check with examples held in the RAOC Archive as well as other like minded collectors.

The following Advance RAOC Units were deployed to the Beech Areas:

101 Beach Area - Sword Sector
1 Corps - 3 British Div Front

D-Day
11 Ordnance Beach Detachment
12 Ordnance Beach Detachment
44 Ordnance Ammunition Company

102 Beach Area - Juno Sector
1 Corps - 3 Canadian Div Front

D-Day
9 Ordnance Beach Detachment
14 Ordnance Beach Detachment
15 Ordnance Beach Detachment
45 Ordnance Ammunition Company
Composite Canadian Ordnance Maintenance Detachment
D-Day Plus 1
Canadian Ordnance Maintenance Company

104 Beach Area - Gold Sector (Mulberry Docks)
30 Corps - 50 Div Front

D-Day
7 Ordnance Beach Detachment
10 Ordnance Beach Detachment
36 Ordnance Beach Detachment
43 Ordnance Ammunition Company
D-Day Plus 1
1 Ordnance Maintance Company
17 Advance Ordnance Depot

As far as I can ascertain only the OBD's & OAC's wore the Beach Ordnance Titles with Beach Group Badge and White Band to Helmets.

A good book on RAOC units is;
21 Army Group
The History of the Campaign
by Major J. Lee-Richardson R.A.O.C.
Printed by RAOC Publications, Germany 1946
and is the official history.

Wanted Poppy Pins