View Single Post
Old 17-02-18, 07:23 PM

Default Kelso Burgh Police 'relic' button

Evening all

One for the police/early button collectors: recently bought this button used by the Kelso Burgh Police which existed from 1757 until c. 1881/82, when they merged into the Roxburgh County Constabulary. In excavated condition, it appears to be a very rare item as it is not recorded in either Ripley, Ripley & Darmanin, or John Green’s book on Scottish police insignia. It is made of a non-magnetic metal with traces of a silver coloured finish on the obverse, measuring approximately 23.5mm in diameter. There are traces of a maker’s name between two concentric rings on the reverse: of the maker a letter “A” is discernible, and the place of manufacture appears to begin “BI” (so probably Birmingham).

TBH if this is the only Scottish button I add to my collection this year I’ll still think I’ve done well, and at a fraction of what I was prepared to pay. So having excavated half a field from around the shank using a cocktail stick, followed by a gentle clean with soap and water, I intend taking it’s cleaning no further for fear of causing damage to what has, after all, probably been in a field for the best part of 150+ years.

Enjoy

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03Feb2018 005b.jpg (51.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 03Feb2018 010b.jpg (54.8 KB, 16 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.