View Single Post
Old 27-09-17, 03:52 PM

Default Pipers Tunic

Dear Mike.

I may be wrong but I don't think the AAC Harrogate had a pipe band until the 1960,s.

My reason for saying this Mike is that I was a member of the Junior Leaders Regiment Royal Corps of Signals Corps of Pipes and Drums as a drummer in 1964.

This Pipe Band was not formed until Lt. Col L.H.M. Gregory MBE formed the band in 1960 when he was the C.O. of the Regiment. He was also responsible for starting the Gurkha Corps of Pipes and Drums back in 1952 I believe.

I am pretty sure the AAC Harrogate band started at around the same time as I recall when their was the Junior Soldiers Band Competition that we won in 1965 the AAC along with other Junior Leader Regiments took part as a fairly new band.

This date would ring true by some of the photos of the AAC Harrogate Pipe Band that appear on the web dated 1965. The tunics that are being worn in these photos do not have the double line of buttons that the tunic in Colin's Thread have.

I have attached a black and white photo of the AAC Harrogate Pipe Band taken in 1966 where the button configuration can be seen.

Hope this helps Mike.

Cheers

Chris Walker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAC%20Pipe%20Band%201966%20Luchon%2001.jpg (93.9 KB, 11 views)