View Single Post
Old 22-03-17, 04:39 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercian View Post
The other (J&Co) badge was known to soldiers as a 'staff badge' and worn by officers, warrant officers and battalion 'staff' sergeants (e.g. QMS, musketry, tailor, shoemaker, orderly room) from around 1905 (the issue of peaked, universal forage cap).

Hello Toby, as I collect to the Cheshire Regiment I was a bit surprised to read the above statement about the 'staff badge', as I have never heard of that pattern badge being worn after December 1900, when the type with the scroll was issued. The pattern without the scroll was issued to all ranks in 1923. I have posted a photo from 1893, which shows three type of badges being worn, the officers badge, the glengarry and the acorn. If you have any information on the 'staff badge' being worn in 1905 I would love to read it.
Staff badges were a tradition for all infantry battalions between 1880 and 1902 on the round/staff (it was known formally by both terms) forage cap, although the badge itself was not publicly funded for the ORs concerned and had to be provîded under 'regimental arrangements' (clothing regulations refer) . Apart from size, the Cheshire regiment staff badge for that head dress was identical to that which you have posted, with its distinctive green enamel backing. When the cap was discontinued in 1902, it was replaced by the Brodrick for staff sergeants, whose cap was distinguished by a line of gold Russia braid tracing the edge of the turn up flap and clothing regulations again provided for the same badge as used by officers under regimental arrangements. The number of staff sergeants was, relative to the battalion's established strength, small and they are not always seen in regimental photos, e.g. the sergeant shoemaker, or hospital sergeant. In most regiments the sergeant major wore the new, officer's pattern, peaked forage cap, with staff badge from 1902. In 1905, the Brodrick was replaced by an ORs version of the peaked forage cap, with most regiments retaining a staff badge for its staff sergeants, especially of the first class, such as the quartermaster sergeant and orderly room sergeant. The number of badges thus worn was very small, but the staff sergeants generally valued the privilege and status marked by their wear. The badge with scroll was very likely worn on field service caps (replacing the collar badge), but the staff badge was a feature of the smarter, forage caps.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 22-03-17 at 04:46 PM.