View Single Post
Old 21-10-16, 10:18 PM

Hi Ed:
I see I wasn’t clear in my initial post. It’s only the single screw post eagle that I meant to suggest is pathfinder and SWW vintage. I agree with you that the other three are probably manufactured post war. It’s just that the die pattern seems to be identical to me.
I was unable to contact the Lamond Company as it exists today. I was unable to find a web page or email address and don’t they have a phone number that can take messages. Accordingly, I can’t ask if they still have any records from that period.

Interesting that you happened to illustrate A/Cdre. Fauquier’s eagle. When I first started collecting Canadian RCAF stuff, I focused on his history as I thought he was a great but somewhat unsung hero of Canadian aviation. I picked up a few items associated to him at the time and I’ll take this opportunity to illustrate some. I have a couple of similar photos to the one you illustrated with an original signature and also, this mock-up of his medal bars, pilots wing and “pathfinder” eagle. This is somewhat more unique as the group was made up by the late Bill Hampson, author of Canadian Flying Service Emblems & Insignia, and sent to Fauquier for his comments. This must have been a common practice in the past as I have a 2nd group which also has his signature (attached images). Hampson’s isn’t quite correct but close and both are of academic interest only as they aren't original to Fauquier. Odd that someone chose to use a left facing eagle to represent the Pathfinder Eagle.

At the time, I was in contact with members of his family and those who knew him during the war, including Edith Kup who together with Pauline, was one of 5 women officers stationed at RAF Pocklington in 1941. I believe they both worked in the intelligence sector at the time. In phone conversations and letters, both ladies were very forthcoming with fascinating information about Johnny, the aircrews, and their lives and experiences with the RAF during the war. Edith sent me a hand written draft of her memoirs of that era. I don’t know if it was ever published.
I believe John Fauquier’s original medals were donated by the family and are held by the Canadian War Museum in Ottawa; a pretty darn impressive group I would say.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fauquier-Hampson. wing, ribbon & pathfinder wing mock-up.jpg (70.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Bill Hampson & Johnny Fauquier.jpg (81.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Fauquier Group mock-up.jpg (61.0 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by zorgon; 25-10-16 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelling