View Single Post
Old 10-09-14, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAF_Mike View Post
To amend some of the above information, as I have received new data since I sent this to Chris for his page:

There were three classes of 20 cadets each sent to the US. 12 Went to England to train on airships and 9 more were recruited, but the service was cancelled before they became active. The 6 Airship Coxswains were not cadets, but rather drawn from the RNAS and Seconded to the RCNAS at the request of Flight Commander J Barron RNAS.

I am very fortunate in that I have the medal group to Flight Commander(RNAS)& Captain(RAF) J.A. Barron.
John Barron, in addition to being Canada's first qualified Airship Pilot in March 1915, was also the first officer to be formally entered into the RCN when it was formally established in May 1910. He had been originally one of the small group of 7 cadets who received training on board RMS Canada in anticipation of the formation of the RCN. I will photo his group & other items I have for him & post in this section eventually.

I have attached a photo of the original cadets on board Canada, including a closeup of John Barron & beside him, future CNS Admiral Nelles.

& if any member has the shoulder board insignia the cadets are wearing pls feel free to show it here, I have never seen one!

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canada cadets.jpg (68.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Canada cadets John Barron.jpg (55.9 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by RCN; 15-09-14 at 11:33 PM.