View Single Post
Old 13-09-11, 09:52 PM
Banned

Hi Fred and welcome

The RO brevet was actually 'Observer, Radio' (basically a radar operator although why the title was back to front I dont know. The QM wing was worn from 1962 and was apparently the first to be worn by women, there being 10 at its introduction. In 1970 it was superceded by the 'LM' Loadmaster wing.

The 'FC' was actually 'Fighter Controller', first worn in 1983 although apparently only ever officially sanctioned in 1988. The Parachute Jump Instructor was introduced in 1945 and continues to this day, while the 'RAF' was introduced only about 6 years ago, effectively replacing the navigator in some aircraft. It should have a crown above the letters.

The 'O' was first introduced in WW1 and worn until 1942. This should be an 'O' alone and without a wreath. The 'B', 'RO', and 'N' were all introduced in WW2, the latter surviving until today I think. 'AT' was worn from 1990.

I'm afraid to say the 'D', 'MG', 'NG', 'FS' and 'W' badges are all fantasy items that have only ever appeared on ebay, and have never been worn or sanctioned by the RAF, MoD or Air Ministry.

To get an indication of date (for example of the N wing which was worn from 1942 onwards) we'd have to see a scan or photo of the badges.

SAS