View Single Post
Old 18-03-17, 01:33 AM

Puk, I have so far collected 4 of the 6 NZMGC star distinguishing patches and have to admit the grey star is one that is still missing from my collection.
I am 99% sure that Dave listed the very same collection on trade me a few years ago.

‘General issue distinguishing patches’ opposed to ‘field made distinguishing patches’ is a personal choice when it comes to collecting, and the only reason I did not go for Dave’s grey NZMGC star back then was it appears to be hand stitched, instead of machine stitched which was the type more usually issued to the NZMGC.

It is interesting to see a “C11 Reinforcements cap badge” in Riddell’s collection, as William Riddell was a member of “A” Squadron, 11th Reinforcements (Auckland Mounted Rifles) before he was transferred from the mounted rifles on the 29th March 1916 to the infantry “J” Company, 11 Reinforcements, serving with the Auckland Infantry Regiment before transferring to the NZMGC.

Just out of interest the following is a copy of the original ‘NZEF Order No. 496, 31 January 1918, authorising the wearing of the NZMGC distinguishing patch.

Last edited by atillathenunns; 18-03-17 at 01:52 AM.