Thread: BY APPOINTMENT
View Single Post
Old 02-11-17, 09:02 PM

Default BY APPOINTMENT

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ
A while ago I was asked if I would do a thread on the appointment marks found on headdress I did say yes to the request as it would be very informative and a useful guide for forum members but never got round to it having had the same request again from a few of you good folks I decided I would do it well do what i said i would do the 1st time round so here we are .
NORMAL RULES APPLY PLEASE DO NOT ADD TO THE TREAD AS I WANT TEXT AND PICS TO RUN SMOOTHLY TOGETHER ANY UNWANTED POST WILL GET REMOVED AND REMEMBER ANY QUERIES PLEASE PM ME AND DONT LIST THEM HERE ITS GOING TO TAKE A WHILE TO COLLATE THE IMAGES AND TEXT FROM THE DIFFERENT SOURCES WHICH INCLUDE OTHER MEMBERS ON THE FORUM WHO HAVE AGREED TO HELP WITH IT THANKS STEVE

INTRODUCTION
A large majority of private purchase headdress do not have dates on them so therefor it can be difficult to date these to a certain periods of time. We tend to turn to the makers marks to help us with this issue finding out where a company was based or who took it over during its operating periods can give a very good time span for when the items where produced IE J & Co ( Jennings and company ) we can date to the pre J R Gaunt take over period in 1922 the same techniques can be applied to headdress in particular the by appointment marks found in some help to date items to certain time frames. Taking the styles of the cap's , side hats etc into account can and do aid the collector to date items to within a few years of its production period . Understanding these markings and styles that happened over the years gives a good time frame for the individual items in our collections which is often the most asked question when I get shown items at the fairs when was this made Steve ?
The answers are out there its a mater of doing the detective work to get them ! so this is a start in the right direction . steve

MINE
The answers are out there its a mater of doing the detective work to get them !

Last edited by ASR142; 02-11-17 at 10:46 PM.