View Single Post
Old 15-09-11, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS1 View Post
Fred

The wartime brevets were: O, AG, RO, E, N, B, S, PJI (Parachute), and M. The O as discussed is unique in having no wreath, the rest are of the same pattern. The WAG, FE (Flight Engineer) and AE (Air Engineer) were also worn, but were never authorised by the Air Ministry. This came about in the latter as the trade of Flight Engineer or Air Engineer was announced which set tailors off making the FE and AE wings. When the official badge was authorised it was simply an E. There were issue badges but many tailors produced their own for private purchase when ordering a uniform. I ahve a couple of WAG and an FE wing (including a WAG wing on a DFC winners tunic). The AE was introduced officially in the 60s as 'Air Electronics' and worn for years.

The M wing was authorised in March 1945. I Have one from a met man, who tells me that he had worn a converted N wing from 1942. Likewise the PJI was introduced only in April 1945 replacing a sleeve trade badge.

Wireless Ops originally were dual traned and so wore the AG half wing and telecommunications badge on the sleeve. later the trade was dedicated and the AG gave way to the S wing. Likewise the O wing was replaced in 1942 by the B and N wings.

Re the other points, as wings were both issued and private purchase numerous backings can be found.

The Hobart book is generally regarded as being very poor, and is probably best used as a very general guide only. He makes no distinction between wartime and post war badges, and its illustrated with repro badges, originals and in one case a badly mothed example!

Dragon gives all the relevant details of the Mess dress wings. I'm not sure ive seen the 'RAF' wing so not certain if it has a crown, but I'd assume so.
Sorry I spoke, I shall leave it to the grownups.