View Single Post
Old 31-10-17, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
I have at last had leisure to look at Clothing Regs.
CR 1894 was badly drafted by somebody [or a committee] with little understanding or insight. Remember this is pre-SD, and when white drill and khakee [sic] drill was a bit under-regulated regarding badges.
"The chevrons and badges of rank for all arms of service will be worn on the right arm only***. All ....... [list of a few irrelevant SNCO/WO exceptions] chevrons and badges will be worn above the elbow.
At foot of page the asterisk *** is "A signaller, if a colour-serjeant, will wear the badge on the left arm".

I suppose we can assume that this badge is crossed signal flags, but is this upper left arm or lower? And does it matter if he is an assistant instructor?

Fast forward to CR 1914 where a 1912 Army Order is quoted.
CR gets SD etc out of the way [ranking both arms etc] and then: "In the case of other garments [eg tunic and frock, scarlet] chevrons and ranking and appointment badges will be worn on the right arm only*** and above the elbow" [with the obvious senior exceptions].
At foot of page the asterisk *** a signaller, if a colour-serjeant, will wear the signaller's badge on the left arm above the elbow. NCOs and men employed as signallers but without the assistant instructor's certificate will wear the badge on the left arm below the elbow"". Sidebar AO 275/1912.

The inference is that the C-Sjt is indeed an assistant instructor.

Having said all that, I have never ever seen a colour-serjeant so badged. Angels dancing on pinheads cannot compete.
Very interesting Grumpy, I had not spotted your reply. Thank you for posting. I too have never seen a colour sergeant with signals flags on left upper arm.