View Single Post
Old 22-05-12, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
It therefore follows that all the battalions of a regiment would wear the same Tartan Flash. The only variations would be for the infantry Arm-of-Service flashes and Formation Signs.

Stephen.
Thanks for the reply. When you have two battalions of the same regiment in the same brigade, as happens more than once here, it seems to defeat the purpose. I don't disagree that it was done - the Black Watch appear to have worn the 'cap badge' shaped tartan swatch universally in their numerous battalions - just curious if there were other identifiers, as there are numerous examples of same elsewhere.

Other regiments in other divisions added 'battalion' insiginia - for example, the Dorsets of 43rd (Wessex) Division added a blue bar below the arm of service flashes to further distinguish battalions of the regiment.

I believe a battalion of the Royal Ulster Rifles distinguished companies (within the battalion) by coloured slip ons on the battle dress shoulder straps while different battalions of The Parachute Regiment used the same system in 6th Airborne Division to distinguish their numerous battalions.

Nothing to say the units in 51st Div followed suit, and I'm loathe to make conclusions based on one or two photos, so thought I would ask.