View Single Post
Old 11-01-11, 10:35 AM
guest123a

Default LEEDS PALS SHOULDER TITLES

The 15th/17th Battalion of the West Yorkshire Regiment (respectively 1st & 2nd Leeds) wore the Leeds West York’s shoulder title there is no such thing as a 15th West York’s title to the best of my knowledge. Whilst these titles were quite rare there now seems to be glut of them coming up for sale, which makes me ask the question, is someone knocking out copies? In saying that I have a few pairs and they are all the same with no variation what so ever.

Other West York’s Leeds Battalions being the 1/7th, 2/7th, 1/8th, 2/8th (there were training units/battalions numbered 3/7th & 3/8th), all Leeds Rifles Bn's and respectively wore either the T7 or T8 Leeds Rifles, West York’s shoulders.

Post 1921 7th/8th West York’s wore the Leeds Rifles, West York’s Shoulder, until recently I believed that all these were titles with the T7 or T8 removed, I have however just got one from Buy wise (Bosleys) produced simply as Leeds Rifles, West York’s with no sign of a T7 or T8 having ever being fitted. I have a couple of variations for both the T7 and T8.

The two Bradford pals Battalions, wore 16th West York’s (1st Bradford) and 18th West York’s (2nd Bradford) shoulders, as a point of note I know some reproduction 16th Bn ones were made a few years ago for a TV programme, I don't know how many but they are out there so watch out for those. I have not seen any variations on the 16th but have 2 slightly different 18th ones.

As touched upon the 21st Bn (Wool & Textile Pioneers) is the hardest shoulder to get hold of, I'm happy to say I have 1 but must admit I paid over the odds for it, one of the problems of being a West Yorkshire Regiment nut I suppose.

Nec Aspera Terrant,

Cheers Marcus

Last edited by guest123a; 18-03-14 at 03:54 PM.