View Single Post
Old 16-11-20, 04:15 PM

Default 102nd (Northumberland Hussars) Anti Tank Reg formation sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly View Post
I’m trying to assemble a collection of insignia to represent my wife's Grandad's unit the Northumberland Hussars (102nd Anti-tank) in WW2 1942 - 1945.

I'm a bit puzzled as to how the NHs would have badged their uniforms as although they were part of the Royal Artillery, they had special dispensation to retain their cap badges and I believe they also had their own Regimental flash (2 shades of blue) as opposed to the Royal Artillery one.

They were attached to several divisions during the war, so assumedly wore the formation badges (or 8th Army patches) as appropriate:

UK 1940-1 - 2nd Armoured Division
Greece 1941 - 1st Armoured Brigade
N Africa 1941-2 - 7th Armoured Division
N Africa 1942-3 - 50th (Northumbrian) Infantry Division
El Alamein 10/42 - 50th (Northumbrian) Infantry Division
Sicily 1943 - 50th (Northumbrian) Infantry Division
UK 1943-4 - 50th (Northumbrian) Infantry Division
D Day 1944 - 50th (Northumbrian) Infantry Division
NW Europe 1944 - 50th (Northumbrian Infantry Division
NW Europe 1944-5 - 15th (Scottish) Division

The only period photo I’ve seen is of a gunner in Nijmegen with the ‘double T’ formation badge for the 50th (Northumbrian) Infantry Division, which underneath it looks like he has BOTH the regimental flash for the NH (2 shades of blue) and the regimental flash for the Royal Artillery (Red & Blue). He’s also wearing the ‘NH’ metal shoulder titles.

This image is posted on another forum here:

http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/searchi...34883-a-5.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Paul

Paul
My Uncle was an M10 Driver in Normandy off Gold Beach - Arromanches we understand. it all gets a little confusing because we read that he was with the 102nd but he did service in Africa and Italy and then D Day. but what we are trying to find is which formation sign would he be wearing in France. Off photo we can only (black & white) make out a dark square then white with something? in the middle it is very difficult to determine. As for the m10 what signage would have been on the tank? the only phot we have give no clear view on ly the rear where the lads are having a break by the looks of it, behind bocage high above them.

Can you help with advise in any way?

Ian