View Single Post
Old 05-04-16, 08:20 PM

I can add a couple of examples from the King's Regt - and corroborated from Chris's book or discussions with him.

It is well known that the WO (which became MoD in 1964) authorised the eventual production in the 1950s but most were produced much later. For example an AA version of the 1950 Pattern King's badge did not actually appear until after 1959. The CCN for that year indicates that it was not yet available. It was not, therefore, worn by the pre amalgamation regiment. There is a seeded scroll version of the AA but I have not yet found the date of its introduction. Chris has some evidence that the seedless scroll version appeared in about 1964 - this is the badge still used by the LUOTC.

I was once offered an all gold AA King's badge with the explanation of it being a 'bandsman's badge' !!! - absolute rubbish, it was merely a production mistake.

The other example was the Liverpool Scottish (Cameron type) AA badge for which Pattern Cards exist dated 1965. Though this was an official production the unit refused to wear it. They survived until disbandment in 1967 with old WM versions (some purportedly made in Pakistan) and the AA version was only ever afterwards worn by cadets.