View Single Post
Old 10-04-16, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilans View Post
Hello all,
here's some pics of a GRV artillery badge a friend of mine has. Firstly yes it has the flaming section soldered to what looks like a GRV button half, however it has been fire gilded, and given that this process is extremely dangerous and no longer done, I can only assume it is an old badge.
The soldering and lugs are professionally done and the badge shows wear consistent to its age. Also the fire gilt is clearly seen over the solder. so the badge was manufactured and then gilded.
My thoughts are that this is a genuine example of the badge, factory made and not faked up. Given that it was worn for only three years, and there was probably a rush to make this badge after the death of Edward VII, it is entirely feasible that it was 'bit' manufactured (using what was available instead of making a complete new die) and is a real badge. It may well be a manufacturing sample.....???
Geoff
Awesome! Thanks Geoff. I really don't know what to think about these now.

I wonder if it was made by a jeweller to order by one of the RAA officers, their stuff was still private purchase or purchase on repayment in those days.

Cheers, Keith