View Single Post
Old 09-06-18, 08:01 AM

Default RN Silver Cap Badge

Hi Alex

Firstly, the RNXS was disbanded in 1994 as part of the 'peace dividend' following the end of the Cold War.

RNXS personnel (including officers) were originally issued with serge battledress and berets. Until 1984 officers rank insignia was in silver but in that year they switched to gold.

In 1979 RNXS officers adopted RN officers uniforms but retained the beret. This decision was made on the grounds of cost and practicability. The governnment claimed it couldn't justify the cost of issuing RNXS officers with caps. I have been unable to ascertain if officers were allowed to purchase caps privately.

However, I have heard many accounts from members of the RNXS that some officers in their units wore RN officers caps and cap badges. This must have been done unofficially and they must have been purchased privately. However, these accounts have never mentioned anything about the badges being in silver and always refer to 'standard' RN caps and badges.

Members of the RNXS were not members of the Royal Navy. They were unpaid civilian volunteers. As such they may have been a bit more 'flexible' as regards uniform regulations!

If your silver cap badge was purchased unofficially by an officer in the RNXS it must have been prior to 1984 when rank insignia switched to gold, and probably after they adopted RN officers uniforms in 1979. He would have had to have it made privately, which would have been rather expensive!

I should also state that I have never seen any photos of RNXS officers wearing caps. I'm not saying that your badge is RNXS but it is a possibility.

Pete