View Single Post
Old 06-06-17, 05:38 AM

Hi Craig,
Yes I have seen both Owen and Curson's references. I based my assertions on photographic evidence. The KWT museum has one of the finest Cape Medical Corps collections due to the fact that the original units were formed there.

Included in the collection are large group photographs of the unit from inception as ambulance detachment of the KWTVA all the way through to the 1930's. All the photographs prior to becoming VCMC c.1903 show two uniforms. A navy blue tunic with red trim for privates, same but with silver wire trim for NCO's and frock coats for officers. everyone wears a torrin style side cap with a red cross embroidered badge. An alternative khaki drill uniform is also shown as used in the Bechuanaland campaign and during the Boer War. Here the headdress is a slouch hat, again with same embroidered red cross badge.

We need to remember that the British Medical Staff and Medical Staff Corps, and later RAMC (post 1898) were in South Africa looking after the medical needs of the British garrison prior to WWI. So these MSC badges were used in South Africa but not by any South African formed unit. That may explain the occurrence of these insignia here and the confusion in Curson's book.

I have both the brass MSC, white metal VMSC and brass AHC version, but include them with my British medical collection.

Steven