View Single Post
Old 04-06-17, 06:28 AM

Hi Craig,
The badge you display is that of the British 'Medical Staff Corps' and there was a white metal version worn by the British 'Volunteer Medical Staff Corps'.

I have collected medical insignia for a long time and researched the history of the South African units quite extensively through various archives and museums. As far as the Cape based medical units I have found the following:

1. An ambulance detachment of the KWTVA (King Williams Town Volunteer Artillery) was in existence between 1887 - 1888. The insignia worn consisted of a worsted red cross arm badge.

2. Volunteer Medical Staff Corps (Cape) was reformed in KWT in 1890 and existed to c.1900. They wore same insignia as the original ambulance detachment and also a worsted red cross cap badge with silver wire embellishments, worn on a torrin style side cap.

3. Cape Medical Staff Corps was formed in October 1899 and existed for duration of the Boer war. There were a number of companies formed with 'A' company been the original VMSC of KWT. They wore same insignia as VMSC(Cape) in addition to white metal collar badges as worn by the British VMSC. They also had a unique shoulder title in white metal - CMSC.

Circa 1903 the CMSC was reformed into the Volunteer Cape Medical Corps. A permanent Cape Medical Corps was also formed. These existed until 1913/14 when they became part of the South African Medical Corps.

From photographic evidence it appears that the British VMSC and MSC cap and helmet badges were not worn by any Cape medical units. The first time helmets was worn was with the formation of the CMC in 1903 but then they had there own Helmet plate.

I have included pictures of the insignia i have as worn by the CMSC and CMC units.

Regards
Steven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0558.jpg (58.2 KB, 74 views)