View Single Post
Old 16-11-17, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post
Hi Peter,
It's not Devanagri script. That's used in most North Indian languages. This is almost certainly one of the Dravidian languages from down south I think- either Malayalam or Kannada ... I'm a south Indian myself and the former is my mother tongue, but am sorry to say that I unfortunately cannot read it..anyway neither here no there
That's my bias showing, Khyber! My interest in the old Indian Army, especially the units on the Western Front - the Rwwalpindi, Peshawar, and Secunderbad Brigades - predisposes me to think 'northern' when I think India. My sincere apologies! I was infected earlier in life by the old 'martial races' nonsense and tend to fall pray to it from time to time if I'm not careful.

Chinese makes sense to me too, but if someone has a confirmed example from Sri Lanka, I suppose that's the answer. And one of the reasons I love this forum! An early girl friend once referred to my 'storehouse of mental dross' and where but here would I ever get to share it with like minded... gentlemen?

Peter