View Single Post
Old 15-11-17, 06:58 AM

Hi,
Firstly, the sellers description is wrong on two counts, if is not a RIfle Volunteers plate (Roy noticed that already) and secondly it is not Shropshire but Northamptonshire.
Attila, I think finding an image of the plate being worn would probably mean a trip to the Regimental Museum. I can understand your caution, these were generic plates in every instance as stated in KK pg 106 for the Rank and File with the number cut out or stencilled within the garter, KK unfortunately only shows two examples of this type to the 1st and the 64th.
I am far from an expert with these but I have handled a few and with the fakes it's not just the weight but the stamping can fail to show good detail front and rear as the one linked does in certain areas,you do get a slight variation in some of the stencilled numbers but most of the time the fakes are a bit more obvious in style. The light on the image is not great but some traces of gilding remain to the reverse although I think most has been removed from the front,it does not look the usual coppery type found in repros.
Paul