View Single Post
Old 13-10-17, 08:14 AM

Craig,
I don't do cantles, so with regard to the glengarry badges worn by the Cameron's in South Africa during the Anglo Boer War are much the same as those worn by the rest of the Highlander's and indeed, the whole British Army to Vereeniging and beyond, in particular the high quality of the metal used and the detail of the dies.
The basic rank and file badges are very common and South Africa was absolutely awash with them in the 1970's
Think quality and big black lugs and lashings of golden braze, the attached all came from South Africa.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigen View Post
Dear All

As part of a small project, I will be looking for items authentic to uniforms worn in South Africa during the first decade of the 20th Century.

My first query is about Cameron Highlander insignia and sporrans. Could anybody help with info on which insignia would have been worn by the Cameron Highlanders around 1903/4 and up to WWI? How would one distinguish those badges from copies/fakes or similar badges from other periods?

Is it correct to say that the sporran badge had no scroll, while the headdress badge had a scroll with "Cameron" on it and did the sporran or sporran badge change between the mid 1890s and WWI?

The picture below shows what appears to have been a Cameron regimental sporran adapted for use by a South African piper. The cantle decoration is a really nice piece of artistic work and the badge appears to have been an integral part of the overall decoration, rather than a separate badge attached to the cantle (I will post a better picture and more details when I can). Could anyone suggest how this might have fitted into Cameron Highlander dress during or just after the Anglo Boer War?

Thanks in anticipation for the help - I do not have access to reference works on British badges and am finding the Internet more confusing than helpful.

Regards
Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030274.jpg (61.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg P1030275.jpg (59.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg P1030276.jpg (68.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg P1020399.jpg (75.7 KB, 26 views)