View Single Post
Old 03-01-18, 02:30 PM

Default Disabled Soldiers Bureau

Hi all,

I recently acquired this badge (collar/lapel or even cap?) to the "DISABLED SOLDIERS BUREAU" in with a bag of buttons.

It is 30mm in diameter and has the look and feel of a WW1 type badge.

And the ‘Disabled Soldiers Bureau’ gets a mention in an article in the Irish Times (http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/sp...-I-failed.html ), for Saturday 15th April 1916, which is writing about the Punchestown Racing festival:

Punchestown, owing to the war, was not itself on Tuesday ... .there was the gaiety and the bustle ... but the genuine spirit of Punchestown was lacking ... this could easily be seen by a glance at the Club enclosure, and by the absence of house parties usually associated with the meeting, while the fact that military officers have now something more serious to do than dispensing their usual hospitality at Punchestown also brought about a noticeable change.”
But it also said that despite the subdued atmosphere, one of the most agreeable features was the presence of several officers who had been in the firing line for months.
The paper also was happy to see a collection in aid of the Disabled Soldiers Bureau.

But other than that I can’t find anything.

Does anyone else know anything about this organisation?

Cheers Ian

Please Note : This doesn’t really fit in with my collecting areas so may well be sold on in the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diabled Soldiers Bureau.jpg (80.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Diabled Soldiers Bureau BK.jpg (77.3 KB, 19 views)