View Single Post
Old 21-02-11, 10:06 AM
Banned

The Pathfinder badge was simply an eagle in brass or gilt finish. Generally with these badges there are four types of fixing - screw posts, pin (broach) back, lugs and split pin and bend over prongs.

Some years ago I sold a Pathfinder badge on ebay with screw posts, and received a mail from the Pathfinder Association saying that the only genuine pathfinder badges were made by (I think) Gaunts with a pin back. This was rubbish! Its true to say that there might have been a particular badge issued to aircrew (be it gilt or brass, pin back or whatever) but in reality all types were worn. I know of instances when the issue badge was given to a wife, or mother and the airman 'nicked' or bought another from somewhere else, be it a shop, an old cap, or whatever. After all, the badge is the same worn by VAD nurses attached to the RAF, Officers side caps, and sweethearts. I'm not sure how many were issue, but Airmen generally had two service dress tunics and one battledress.

The rule that airmen were not supposed to fly with them seems to be true, and thus, as mentioned you would have to have a badge that was easily removeable on the battledress, although this wouldnt be the case for service dress. This would generally call for a pin back, but I know of genuine examples of all the other three being worn. The bend over prongs usually signify an eagle coming from an officers cap badge.

In the 50s and 60s on, the Master Aircrew badge was worn, featuring a brass eagle with lugs and split pin on a backing plate. Many of these are removed and sold as pathfinders, although one of the pair faces the left. There are also those out there (including one fairly well known RAF dealer) who try and sell the 'Rare' silver Pathfinder badge. Absolute rubbish - it is mearly a silver RAF eagle sweetheart badge. I even had a dealer (who has a website with a WW1 battlefield name...) try and sell me a rare 'bronze pathfinder' badge once! It was in reality an eagle worn by the SAAF over their Sergeant and Flight Sergeant rank stripes. But someone told him as it was bronzed it was an RAAF version, and he went with that, doubling the price he had had on it for several months! The Pathfinder badge was gilt or brass only.

Generally speaking, for the RAF the eagle faced to the right, but as mentioned facing pairs were worn by VADs, Doormen at the Air Ministry and others, including the post war aircrew sleeve badges.

I was initerested to hear of the 'Working Pattern' badge with screw threads. But the only genuine way to get a pathfinder badge is to get one from a vet or his family, or at least one with known provenance, regardless of the fixing on the reverse.