View Single Post
Old 17-11-17, 01:05 AM

Default Old Contemptiles

Hi Michael

Thanks for your message. By saying "north-south" that was my way of saying "top to bottom". I'll check my Old Contemps badges over the weekend and see what is there.

Most of the Toye & Co bronze(d?) badges I've seen have all had the "half moon" clip and it was always a theory that the pin backs were for wear by women but there was also clearly a time when gent's suits no longer had a "functional" buttonhole and they went over to a pin back.

I've got a wide range of badges (mostly "on war service") where you can see that the "half moon" has been cut off and a "catch and hinge" (as I've heard them called).

You'll see that photo that I posted of the badge with the red Maltese cross in the centre (pin-backed and also by Toye & Co) and am wondering if this is for nurses as the emblem is very similar to that found on the armbands worn by nursing staff (or at least there is one like this in our local museum).

Thoughts?

I'm intrigued that the Old Contemps seem to have been more than well-catered for in the Patron area if we are to judge by the number of badges that turn up!

Something that makes me wonder if your badge is later (50s? 60s?) is the chrome(?) finish and the slightly "rougher" texture to the back.

Hope this proves interesting.